Re: [NTLK] memory leak? any suggestions?

From: Brad Schurman (photomanbrad_at_yahoo.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2005 - 22:06:03 PST

 --- Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
> Brad Schurman wrote:
> > --- Puckdropper <puckdropper_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>You may have to do a brain wipe to get rid of the
> >>problem. That will delete EVERYTHING including
> what

Ok an ouch to report...

If you do go for a brain wipe, any newbies out there,
make sure to store some extensions on a memory card
that you can remove before you do the erase of the
newton.

Seems that although backup went fine, hard reset erase
went fine, the problem was the Newton Devices and
Farallon ethernet card and a few other network drivers
and extensions were needed to connect back to the base
Mac to restore all my software back into the Newton.
As I can tell so far, extensions most often need to be
internal not on an external card so the 'move' is only
temporary. And it gives the unit some drivers to
recognize the ethernet card to connect.

I kept getting a msg like "there is a problem with
this card"..

Luckily I also have a 2000 which I tried to IR the
extensions over... seems for some reason some of these
essential files are 'protected' and cant be moved or
copied? Storing it on an external card and pulling
over via PCMCIA didnt work too well either...

Somehow I managed to get two copies of the same
needed, missing files when dealing with my 2000. There
is no "duplicate or copy" command so not sure how I
did this....

Freezing the files didnt help make them any more
transferrable to the card or IR to the 2100. Being
deactivated "this extension already exists and will
not be activated" is the sole thing that got around
the IR, PCMCIA and 'protected' status of the files...
and then the 2100 could hook back up and be restored.

Funky wierdness that I didnt find anywhere in
documents... just to keep your newbie eyes open and
file them ON REMOTE MEM card before you do the
wipe...just a forwarning...