Re: [NTLK] New possible candidate platform for einstein

From: Terence Griffin (terence.griffin_at_nist.gov)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 13:39:29 PST

> 1) Palm bought BeOS and announced they were going to build in parts of
> it in a next-gen OS, but that never happened, so IF they will do
> something with MobileSoft is really kinda doubtful at this point (call
> me skeptical...).

  PalmSource put the BeOS stuff in PalmOS Cobalt (6.x). But since Palm
  Source is SW only, the licensees have to build a machine, including
  PalmOne. Back when Palm was one, when they released a new OS, the
  next machine would have it. But now there is no guaranty *any*
  machine will. We'll see if the linux Cobalt has the BeOS features.

  Also I heard Cobalt 6.0 was a dog. I think licensees have 6.1, which is
  supposed to be a vast improvement.

> 2) For me, the allure of the Newton is more the hardware/software
> combination. The simplicity of the case design (no external buttons
> except the power switch), the looooooong operating time using AA
> batteries, and the huge screen (for a PDA) are all hardware things
> that made me fall for the Newton.

  I'd probably use my Newton a lot more if I didn't have to carry it
  around in a seperate shoulder bag. I'd love a palm sized Newton.

  - Tere