Re: [NTLK] Harris SuperTech 2000 (tidbits)

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 20:20:04 PST

Dear List,

I'm not how interested you are about the Harris SuperTech 2000 but
since I have had time to futz around with my units I wanted to share
with you some observations and tech notes though I'm not as tech savvy
but enjoy experimenting.

NOTE:f you decide to try any thing I mention here you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Standard Disclaimer out of the way .... let's move onto the details.

(Since this is a text based medium no pictures will be posted but if
you are interested in any I do have them and they will be freely
passed out if you're interested.)

1) Power - I personally had not gotten any unit to power till today.
As you might know already others have powered up their unit with
approx. 6V DC (IIRC). On a whim this evening I decided to pull out my
Apple Newton 9W adapter and try jury rig power to the Harris. With the
unit upside down I opened the battery compartment. With the four
contact facing me which I will label for this explanation from 1 to 4
from left to right. 1 - Positive, 4 - Negative. I was having problems
getting current attached from the adapter to a unit until I figured
out a unusual way to connect it all up (suffice to say it was ad hoc).
I finally got the unit I was working on to power up. The first item
was the sound of it booting up which was the usual ring like tone.
Then an amazing Back light came on. The color took me by surprise as
it was blueish in hue not exactly green. I will have to compare it to
the MP130 I have to gauge the color. I looked around and discovered it
has NOS 2.0 on it with 1.5MB of or memory.

2) Now due to issues maintaining power continuity because I was
holding all the connections initially by hand and trying at the same
time to navigate the unit - I was trying to get a better connection
setup and the power went on and off a few times. Then the unit powered
up to my surprise into the Diagnostic Mode. I had a screen similar in
style to the one you see on Frank's page. Entering Diagnostic Mode by
following the on-screen instructions proceeded to look around. I'm
still unsure how I got in but the next screen listed something about
Lindy which I recall was one of the Code Names for the MP1x0 series
(MP110?). In any case I ran upstairs and grabbed my digital camera to
took a few shots to prosperity and document this event. (Anyone
interested in a picture or two just email me off list and I can pass
you one or more.

If you have a unit out there and have had experience powering up your
unit and looking around I would like to know about your experiences (I
recall some posts prior) - so please post to this thread! :)

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung