Re: [NTLK] Harris SuperTech 2000 (tidbits)

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 08:43:15 PST

(UPDATE)

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just completed a rough
prototype power adapter converter for the Harris ST2K. It's not really
much but I will describe it below and forward Tim the photos to post
up with the others he is generously hosting when I get a chance to
photograph it.

<History>
Since these units (Harris ST2K) don't have a standard power adapter
jack, nor do we know what the pin outs are for the dock contact on top
and of course we only have heard on ONE DEAD battery - people who have
tried powering up their units have either used a 6V Adapter or 6V
Lantern Battery previously. Having gotten my unit(s) all powered up
now with the Apple 9W Newton Adapter I decided to build a power
connector go between (btw the Harris ST2K and the 9W Newton Adapter)
to facilitate power to my units.

Last night I spoke to Mark from MacsRUsComputers to assist him in
powering up his unit. In the end I offer to build him one of these
adapters and possibly test his unit out.

Back to the adapter.

Well I had to get a female receptacle for the adapter plug. I acquired
one and wired it up appropriately having two wires soldered to the
contacts leaving a 1/8" portion of the wire semi exposed as contact
spots.

I purchase a mini test clips setup from RadioShack. They all have the
clips on both ends and one set is red and the other is black colored.
Now this setup is for use on a temporary basis. If anyone were
interested they could solder the setup permanently to the unit and
mount the female receptacle through the case of the unit, but I
refrain from doing so to keep my units in OEM condition.

PS: FRANK your will be getting a unit with a backlight that's
Blueish.. yours' works great..

PSS: To the person who mentioned about the packages installed on their
Harris ST2K. Please do me a favor! Make a backup of your unit and try
to get the packages exported off a regular Newt after restoring the
packages. I'm not sure if I have all the packages but I would
appreciate it if you could do this. The installed packages will be
lost if you have to do a hard reset and I'm not sure if you lose power
if they will be lost then... but I think it may so be cautious here!
Hopefully I will find that thread and contact you directly!

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung