Re: [NTLK] [OT]Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 07:30:11 PDT

On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:52 PM, Matt Baker wrote:

> So it begs the question why wait so long? They had System 7 with
> quicktime on a 486 in the early '90s. Early OS X wannabe's in '96 and
> '97 ran on x86. OS X was on X86 since 2001. They "sat and waited" for
> Motorola for much longer than 2 years, having to push out dual 1.42's
> while P4's were starting to hit 3Ghz.

My personal take on this whole thing????

I don't think it is a 'strategy' in so much as it is a contingency....=20=

In other words, I don't think that Apple made the "decision" to move,=20
but that it was made _for_ them by IBM. If you know much about this=20
story, IBM has been dragging their feet on the G5 now for about two=20
years. With it accounting for only 2% of their market, and the game=20
consoles, without needing all the fancy doodads that Apple was=20
demanding, IBM, I suspect just didn't want to be bothered with Apple=20
any more, and made them feel like 3-day old fish at IBM. In other=20
words, IBM told Apple to pack up and be out by sunset. So, Apple has=20
been forced by their vendor to switch. Anything else is just spin, to=20
put a positive face on the deal.

I'm personally of mixed opinions about the process, but if Apple's=20
history is any indication, they will 1. survive, and 2. make it work in=20=

ways nobody else ever could dream of. In fact, while Rosetta today may=20=

only emulate a G3, I suspect that it will be more capable by the time=20
that the hardware actually ships.

So, self-blinded detractors notwithstanding, people will accept it, and=20=

move on. I'm curious to see how this will all play out.
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa