[NTLK] OT: outsourcing jobs

From: Byron Han (han_at_hanchenson.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 06:50:41 PDT

Let's keep this in perspective here:

     No one is putting a gun to the heads of our manufacturers to
move jobs to China.
     No one is putting a gun to the heads of our consumers who insist
on lowest (apparent) price and shopping at Walmart.

Personally, I think it is appalling at the degree to which companies
are outsourcing jobs overseas - to China _AND_ELSEWHERE_. It
leaves the US as an increasingly hollow shell economically. However
it has little to do with other countries' governmental policies and
more with policies of the US government, and the investors and
managers of US corporations.

You may be referring to the current "controversy" over (under)
valuation of the Chinese currency. Makes for great sound bytes and
newspaper articles, hmmm? Look at the flip side. By keeping the
yuan's valuation low, the Chinese government is able to fund more and
more of our own US federal budget deficit. If they raise the yuan's
value and stop buying (as much) of our T-bills, I am not sure ANY of
us want to see skyrocketing interest rates here again (*I* remember
the stagflation of the 70's).

We need to get our own house in order first. Balance the budget.
Encourage companies through financial and legal incentives to keep
jobs at home. We can leave the China-bashing at home, folks!

On Jun 9, 2005, at 6:25 AM, Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> keep them=20
> from sucking away any more jobs from the West, its a good thing
> (This is
> from=20
> the perspective of a resident of Michigan, a state with unemployment
> rates=20
> ranging from 7 - 12%, depending on what area of the state you look
> at).

Byron Han
han_at_hanchenson.com