Re: [NTLK] OT: outsourcing jobs

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 15:22:12 PDT

I can understand that it hurts when companies go off shore because there is
cheaper labour elsewhere.

In NZ we have had nearly 19 years of deregulation now and the first 10 years
were very hard. Yet now we have a much stronger economy, people have found
alternative employment, there are more business startups than ever,
unemployment is at new lows suggesting that most have sat up, straightened
their backs and accepted that risk taking, quality, innovation and
efficiency are the keys to competitiveness.

At the same time, it seems to me that international trade is the best
foreign aid there is. More dignity and less prone to corruption for the
recipient and cheap goods for the donors/buyers.

While travelling through Africa I was unimpressed by the culture of
dependency that years of handouts created.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Tony

[snip]
Personally, I think it is appalling at the degree to which companies
are outsourcing jobs overseas - to China _AND_ELSEWHERE_. It
leaves the US as an increasingly hollow shell economically. However
it has little to do with other countries' governmental policies and
more with policies of the US government, and the investors and
managers of US corporations.
[snip]