Re: [NTLK] XP Question--Ignore if you must

From: W L (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 19:14:26 PST

David Abramowitz wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Adamson_at_aol.com wrote:
My Inspiron 7500 laptop, after a hard crash (ya gotta love them 13 yr
olds
who want to chat with friends), now has CPU usage of 100%. No matter
what I
do, I can not get CPU usage to return to normal. Any suggestions?

Which 'chat' app. were they using?
Did they download any files, mp3's, games, other software?
Did you try the AOL-remote fixer?
Is AOL's so-called virus scanner option enabled on your account? Is
'chat' stuff/ports checked?
Which anti-virus do you run?
------------------------------
> Here are my suggestions, in no particular order:
  1. Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run the free scan - this
  will get rid of viruses, spyware, malware of all sorts, and having
  worked there for 7 years, I can tell you it works quite admirably. And
  you can run it as many times as you want, however often you like.

Good suggestion! *BUT* it only runs thru IE, update IE thru Windows
Update then run 'housecall', or run 'housecall' first then run WU, if
you have system problems do 'housecall first.
Also, which anti-virus do you run? You do run one, right???
------------------------------
> 2. If you don't have a virus scanner on the machine that is also
> scanning for/ridding you of spyware, go to http://www.lavasoft.de/ and
> download the free version of Ad Aware, scan, and delete spyware and the
> rest of that crap.

Also run spysweeper 3.2 or earlier. Also run AntiSpyXP for Win.XP.
Also run FreshUI to disable hidden prefs. in Win.XP. Also run a
keylogger when someone else uses your computer.
------------------------------
> 3. Get rid of that piece of crap, and run to the Apple store nearest
  you, buy a Mac Mini, and be done with viruses, malware, spyware, and
  Windows forever... :)

  4. Go to #3 this time for another Mac, until your house is free of
  Windows... :)

  - Dave

LOL! Best suggestion!!!
So far, I've 'back-switched' two laptops to Macs(G4 & G3 PB's) from a
Win.98 & Win.XP. Trying to 'back-switch' my sister from Win.XP.Media to
a Mini.
I spend so little time on maintenance/anti-spy/anti-virus-wares on my
Mac I have more time to email/work/fun!!! ;-)
Now waiting on a Mini iPod.