Re: [NTLK] [HELP] About internet setup and surfing

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 13:43:35 PST

Il giorno 12/mar/05, alle 19:37, Alex Santos ha scritto:

I find it strange that others on the list are able to achieve an
internet
connection, of course I am assuming they use an ethernet hub. I really
wish someone could provide a solution here.

An ethernet hub has one upload port and a bunch of download ports. If
you want your newton to be able to communicate through a ethernet hub
to your desktop you will have to phisically connect the MessagePad to
the hub U/L port, but then you will notice that all the network
constructed on the ethernet hub will let you experience some problems
and irregularities which could vary from OS to OS (the Newton OS too,
cause it will not function stably the same, for the same reasons and
casualties reported in my previous mail). It will need a router
installed to have the problems above fixed. In example you will find
everything more functional when having an Airport base phisically
connected to the ethernet hub via a simple ethernet cable. Notice that
you will need to have the Airport base working on DHCP plus NAT to find
things working properly on ethernet connections (instead this
configuration is not the best when using a WiFi pcmcia...)

I find the claims made that the newton can surf versus the actual
information available on sites and by users a real gap. Either that or
I am just plain dumb and can't figure it out. I say all this with a
smile of course. : )
Hopefully someone in the know will clear up the air a bit.

Thanks again Adriano, I appreciate your quick response.

MessagePad is intelligent....doesn't like funky jokes....^_^

I have a Graphite Airport Base station and a 8 ports hub for connecting
via ethernet n.2 desktops plus n. 2 airport ready laptops. I ordered a
5pack Farallon localtalk connectors (with Mac 8Din and RJ11 port) for
enabling a localtalk connection for my "Newtonland" of MessagePads and
eMates with a MacSE (connected via ethernet to the previous listed
network) in the center of the loclatalk network via serial printer
port. In my experience localtalk is the purest way to have a fully
functional Newton network.

Adriano