Re: [NTLK] [HELP] About internet setup and surfing

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 15:05:50 PST

I have used three ethernet configurations and have success with all=20
three.
1. Cisco DSL router and Asante switcher. I was able to connect to my=20
local network and access Macs running OS 8 and 9 with NCU. And OS X=20
via NewtSync and Escale. I used a 3Com pcmcia ethernet card in both my=20=

eMate and 2100. I can use any available port but not the upload port. =20=

  I could also connect to the interned and access my mail using Eudora=20=

Pro. I also connected to the Web with NewtsCape, Courier and with=20
limited success NetHopper.
2. I now use a Linksys cable modem and Linksys router also with success=20=

as above. I also use Paul Guyot and Eckhart K=F6ppen's LPR driver to=20
print to my epson 740 printer.
3. I have connected as above with Graphite Airport base station and=20
Wavelan Turbo Bronze pcmcia card with base station set as ethernet=20
bridge.

With all these setups the connection to NCU was near flawless, =20
newtSync and Escale are somewhat difficult, usually takes a few tries.

NewtsCape is able to connect to most sites that I have tried and does=20
an excellent job of rendering images though I would not refer to it as=20=

surfing, more like rafting. Courier is much quicker but text only.
I understand that some folks are using NetHopper with a proxie site=20
with success, do an archive search for information, IIRC it was within=20=

the last few months.
While I am able to download packages from Ed's site and even search=20
Google I don't think of my Newt as a useful web browsing device. I=20
does however do a good job with email.

I have followed this list for a few years and it seems that some folks=20=

are directly connecting to their Mac via crossover cable but many seem=20=

to have no success, It seems that most who use a router have success.

Woody