Re: [NTLK] ebooks (was Future Apple PDA/ideal Newton)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 05:20:24 PST

> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:52:57 -0500
> From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] ebooks was Digest V5 #140-Future Apple PDA/ideal
> Newton

Pls. take some care to cut stuff like "Digest V5 #140" etc. from the
subject's line, that's bothersome to read. No offense meant, all love,
ok?

> Clare Shepherd wrote:
>> Dan is absolutely right but I'm a book junkie! LOL. But he is
>> absolutely
>> right after getting to know better I now use free texts

Hi Clare, if you have started to make your own books, don't forget to
share the fruits of your labour. If you want, just send me the packages
(maybe include an about.txt file for each book) and I'll put it into
the Temporary Newton Library. Gotta get this moving, I haven't seen any
new books from my fellow bookish Newtonians (besides Matt the K.) in
quite a while... Gotta stick together, folks -- eBook rebelution now!

>> and don't have the
>> hassle of expensive, encrypted books, especially as I enjoy classic
>> texts,
>> thousands of which are free. My point was more that altho' the
>> manufacturers
>> talk convergence, they also support different formats for something
>> as basic
>> as e-books.

They love their proprietary formats, because they try to create markets
where they can keep competitors out and chain the customer to their
platform. This tactic goes straight back all the way to Edison, who did
the same with his audio cylinder phonographs... And lost in the end to
the more open gramophone platform... The industry learned from this:
Before the market walks off and kills your business model, force a new
hard- or software dongle down their throats that forces them to keep
buying your stuff only...

> Well being a fellow book junkie I can relate lol. But as I said there
> are sellers (like Fictionwise for example) that offer unencrypted
> formats and many of these (like Palm Doc for example) can be converted
> to NewtonBooks quite easily.

Props to open standards! Props to undongled content! Props to Bob!

Cheers,

D.