Re: [NTLK] Bernie's bookreader

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 11:23:23 PDT

Goodwin, Greg P. wrote:
> Messed with it a lot when it first came out. Listened to Peter
> Pan that way, and in truth, a great reader.
>
> If files are too large or not properly chaptered it starts to skip
> around or will not read the book at all. Other than that, not bad!
>
> Greg Goodwin
> @><-- >------------------------
*snip*
Yes it is a nice piece of software. And it works with all formats of
books (Bookmaker, Press and Paperback). However as you noted you do
need chapters or it will crash. It reads the book into memory chapter
by chapter and if have a larger book without chapters, it will crash.
Sometimes you even need subchapters if the chapter is a very long one
(not usually a issue though). Bookmaker will produce books that are
readable on BBR, however you need to do a few extra commands rather than
just .subject command once. I have the technique documented in the
Bookmaking tutorial that is on UNNA. Or if you would like, I can send
you a copy directly, just email me.

As for volume issue, I never had any problem. Try setting the volume,
then opening BBR. It may not read the system volume except on start. I
have my voice on fred, rate and pitch a little less than half. I found
this to be optimum for me, but of course everyone is different. ;)

-Dan