Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 10:51:01 PDT

On Thursday, May 5, 2005, at 09:49 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Am 05.05.2005 um 17:38 schrieb RAParker:
>
>> On Thursday, May 5, 2005, at 08:27 AM, RAParker wrote:
>>
>>> but give this a try: Use the GPS mouse antenna without it and
>>> have the antenna already powered up when you launch GPS Map.
>
> No worky, as I have no alternative way to power the GPS at this time.

What do you need?

>> or...isn't there a way to turn on NewtNav first, using the sound
>> control?
>
> 1. in Unfiled/Prefs/Recording, switch to Line-in (there's also
> somewhere a nice hack to to this from Button-bar, I think).
> 2. in Notes, open new Recording, start audio recording. GPS: LED
> lights up, acquires fix (LED starts flashing).

Did you hit pause as Adriano recommended?

> 3. Start GPS Map:
> 3.1 "Waiting for GPS Data!"
> 3.2 "GPS: n/a" (LED still flashing...)
> -- aborted test after a few minutes w/o any change (besides message
> that the recording had filled up the storage on my Newt).

Did you hit pause as Adriano recommended? (is there an echo? ;-)

> It just has to be the too-many-sentences, too-short-intervall prob,
> check the GPS Map-FAQ
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSMap I've started
> yesterday.
> But what really frustrates me is that Adriano didn't use ANY Init
> string, and got it working two weeks ago --

Same here, no init strings, a different receiver...still curious...

My Polstar also transmits every 1 second. My Newton 120 runs pretty
slow and doesn't always use 'every' piece data coming down the serial
port 'every' second (I'm assuming, of course). The fact is, there is
about a 5 second delay between screen updates, while tracking (live)
and using my S. Lake Tahoe street map, which (BTW) is 2134x3314 pixels!

So I still find this whole 'too-many-sentences' thing curious.