Re: [NTLK] Newton -> PC serial connection

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 08:06:10 PDT

Ola,

Primary locations are eBay and the few stores that sell them J&K
Sales, Inc. & Gem Enterprises...both of which have eBay stores also...

http://www.jksalesinc.com/catalog/
http://www.gementerprises.com/newton.htm

If you look hard enough there should be a place/company/person on eBay
selling the PC/Newton cable for $4.99 on auction periodically.
--=20
God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family

On 5/9/05, Ola <ola_at_mikrogroove.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm sure this has been covered before but looking through the FAQs I have=
n't been able to find a definite answer. I recently bought my first Newton,=
 an MP2000, after having been on the lookout for one for years (pretty hard=
 to find in Sweden). I'm a bit of a secret Mac fetishist and although I mai=
nly use Windoze machines in my day-to-day work the Newton was a desireable =
addition to my collection. After having fixed some initial problems with th=
e machine (the "touch" on the touchscreen was dead and the battery wouldn't=
 charge) I have now been playing around with it for a while and I'm amazed =
at what this thing can do! It's a brilliant little computer and now I under=
stand what all the hype was about. Well... on to my question:
>=20
> This machine is completely empty in terms of upgrades and software instal=
lations and I want to connect it up to my Windows PC to install some packag=
es, most notably the drivers for my Orinoco 802.11b Classic Gold WaveLAN c=
ard (8410-EU). I have found the nescessary Windows software (Newton Connect=
ion Utilities) but I lack the serial adapter that fits in the connector at =
the top of the Newton. So I would like to know
>=20
> 1) What are the options for getting a serial connection that are still av=
ailable to buy? Where do I get it?
>=20
> 2) Am I in a catch 22 situation not having anything installed on the Newt=
on already? Like special drivers or the Newton Internet Enabler package?