Re: [NTLK] Newton eMate 300 Battery Tray?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 13:16:42 PDT

> Hello All!
> After going thought many eMates and testing the
> batterys, I can a cross a Battery Tray on one eMate, I
> have NEVER seen one before, is this a rare find? And,
> will it be able to charge the Nihm rechargable
> batteries from inside the eMate? Please let me know.

Well as far as I know Apple never released one. So it must be something
that a user made. It is possible to do so if you can find a tray that
will fit in the allotted space (there is instructions on a few sites but
I don't recall which at the moment). As for recharging, it can IF it
has a thermoister (temperature sensor). If it is lacking this, and it
is just "hotwired" so that charging is possible, I would be afraid of
using it. Without that temperature sensor the Newt does not know when
reduce current so that the batteries do not get too hot. And it is
possible that damage to the Newt (via exploding batteries).

In all likely hood though, I doubt that it is "hotwired" for charging.
But if you put some NImh batteries in and after pluggin in the gage in
extras says "charging" I would unplug it and don't use the cage when you
have the emate plugged in. You can run a emate without a battery or
cage attached if you want (or need) to.

-Dan