Re: [NTLK] Jaggies - Unfixable - liquid br...

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 14:51:48 PDT

> anybody tried to fix the jaggies painting a bit of liquid branch (for =
cold
soldering)
> onto the four connections of the MessagePad lcd digitizer?
I would vote against any liquids anywhere except my glass ;-)
Liquid branch (branch - what???) I think is conductive and contains =
silver
particles. Imagine if this is flowing and finally connecting/shorting =
the
connections the digitizer will fully stop to function.=20

I've used liquid conductive epoxy glue once with very good results. =
However,
epoxy glue cures after 24h or more and normally rests in place. For the
digitizer connections the conductivity is probably not the big problem,
because a sort of bridge measurement is used. That is not measuring =
absolut
resistance values but comparing two resistances which change =
proportionally.

The whole digitizer idea of Newton is extremely brilliant, from a pure
technical point of view. Imagine how you would transmit X-Y coordinates =
by
only four wires?

BTW, there's a nice little experiment what everybody can do with his =
deep
green friend:

Open an empty note and switch to drawing mode. Then press two f=EEnger =
nails
or stylii onto the screen in a certain distance and move them around. =
The
"cursor" or tip of the pen will draw somewhere on the half way between =
the
two stylii. Nice! The Wheatstone resistance bridge has been miss-tuned =
but
the result is still excellent, respectively Jaggies can be sort of
reproduced. =20

Marco