Re: [NTLK] Rebuilt battery pack

From: Ola (ola_at_mikrogroove.com)
Date: Sun May 15 2005 - 05:07:52 PDT

> > Does anyone know what the original spec for the
> > cells in the Newt 2K/2K1 battery packs was?
> > 1200mAh? 1500mAh?
>
> 1200mAh.

In the end I got around 48 hours of continuous use on the first charge before the batteries ran out. Pretty amazing! And IIRC NiMh cells increase slightly in capacity during the first few charge/discharge cycles...

I did consider stripping the plastic off the cells and even made a small cut in one of the cells but then I suddenly realised that this would effectively short circuit the pack which would have disastrous consequences!

[+] on cell 1 -> [-] on cell two, shell of cell 2 -> shell of cell 1 = the same thing as connecting [+] to [-] on cell 1

I had cleaned out the glue and plastic residue from the old packs but they still didn't quite fit - as Frank pointed out the modern high capacity cells are ever so slightly wider than the original Newton ones. I suppose a Dremel is the only solution here.

Ola