Re: [NTLK] New newton page

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 16:52:00 PDT

stephen o'reilly wrote:
> I don't know why you sound so suprised.
> Owning a newton has never been cheap and I don't think the attitude of some of
> the developers has helped either. 10 dollars for this, 20 for that. The
> shareware model has done the community no favours whatsoever.
> Yes - I know the arguments but it's sometimes like everyone has their hands
> out when it comes to this platform.
> I love my Newton and have been using various models on and off since '93, but
> if you've got fifty dollars to spend on a driver or app for an 8 year old
> discontinued platform then you're probably a candidate to fork out 30 for a
> port cover as well.
considering my 100 cost me about $300 used, my first 2000 cost me $1000,
the 2100 cost another grand, the upgrade for the 2100 cost another $200
plus the cards, programs and such. I got a used 2000 for parts from ebay
a few years a go for $50-70 or such and it needs some covers to be a
fully operational machine. I didn't find the prices to be
unobjectionable if they were something I needed. but then i guess i've
proved that i was willing to pay full boat for newts in the first place.

what i'd like to find is a stand that i saw once in a shop in NY that
pivoted and held the newt in all 4 corners. so i could place this little
thing on my desktop and set the angle i wanted to use the newt at. it
was only $100 at the time and i should have just bought it and now i
kick myself.

so anyway i thought most of the prices didn't seem to far out of hand
when you also consider that some of the items are becoming difficult to
find at this point. if you want a sticker shock then go check out what
the japanese newt owners spent on making a clear newt case.

my $0.02 worth