Re: [NTLK] Windows XP with Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 15:49:26 PDT

> My question is, will I be able to continue in this way on the new systems? I checked the
> FAQ and the Wiki and found out that NCU will run on XP (is this really true?), but
> couldn't find any such info about Newton Press. Anybody know?

Yes it will run just fine on XP (well at least as good as Press normally
runs lol). You shouldn't see any difference. NCU also works on XP.

> Also, if the new machines don't have serial ports (do new PCs have serial ports?), will I
> be able to use a USB/serial adapter, and will I need to get a driver installed? Are
> there other solutions to make the physical connection? I don't think I'll be able to use
> TCP/IP because they have our network locked down, and the DHCP server won't talk to my
> Newton.

Yes many new machines do not have serial ports. You will need to get a
USB to Serial adapter. I use a Keyspan adapter, but there are other
models that will work.

One tip: If the new machine is significantly faster than the old one, it
is possible that you will get communications error -1 errors. You may
need to run the program "Slowdown". Perhaps even a couple of instances
(double click on it several times, and have it showing in your task bar
a few times) to get the system slow enough. Slowdown is on UNNA, but
sometimes it is needed, and other times it is not. Depends on the
hardware. Some is more finicky than others. So in short, try it, and
if you get communication -1 errors, then use Slowdown. And if one
instance on max still does not work, try another.

Oh another thing you can do, go into your serial port settings and set
the FIFO buffers to one notch above off. I find this setting can make a
lot of difference. The buffers need to be on, but at there highest
setting sometimes you will get communications -1 errors.

-Dan