[NTLK] Project: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:08:04 PDT

Subject: [NTLK] Project: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD
From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko () gmx ! net>
Date: 2005-04-09 15:42:46

Remember this from April?

> Idea: Newton Connectivity-MiniCD
>
> You all know the situation - sometimes you're on a trip with your
> Newton and want to attach to some other computer, but you suffer from =
> strapboot lemprob (that's a reverse bootstrap problem, for all ye
> bl00dy n00bs out there ;=3D} ): Maybe you have everything you need at
> home or even on your Newton, but not available on the other machine =
(in
> the office, in school, in the internet caf=E9 somewhere on a vacation
> overseas, or even at yo mama's place...), and w/o some apps on that
> box, things no worky the way you want.
[...]
> Anyway, my idea is -- how about collectively compiling a set of such
> tools for about every platform possible and putting that up on the Web
> as CD-image? That would be a Newton Connectivity Compilation, with
> maybe the odd Newton Survival tool thrown in to round the deal off.
> And, hey, we *do* have the Newton library where we could put it up as
> soon as it's complete (in progress now:
> http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/NewtonConnectivityCD ). --
> Sweet idea? You bet!
(Full posting see=20
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=3Dnewtontalk&m=3D111306156629839&w=3D2,=20

original
thread see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=3D111306168900004&r=3D1&w=3D2
)

So what happened then was that some people really liked that idea very=20=

much and even expanded on it (Linux and Windows live systems! I say!),=20=

I'd created a Wiki page for it at=20
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonConnectivityCD, put=20=

the software that I have actually used up at=20
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/NewtonConnectivityCD, asked=20=

what else should go up there, and then nothing.

Please take a moment, read through below list, and if you find YOUR=20
personal favorite connectivity solution isn't there, let me know (a)=20
what it needs on which platform, and (b) where to get it (maybe even=20
(c) a short how-to?).
Thanks for your help!

NewtonConnectivityCD R0.0.1

This is a collection of tools needed on various platforms to connect the
Newton to them, synch data, etc., to help to get the Newton more easily=20=

in
touch with the world. The idea is that this collection of suggestions=20
will
be compiled as an archive of about 150 to 200 MB size, so it fits on a 3
in./8 cm Mini-CDR/CD-RW and a CD image will be available as download.

Apple MacOS 9 Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       ???
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       IrDAPackageInstaller by JeromeVernet lets a OS 9.x-Macintosh beam
packages to a 2x00 Newton.
    Serial Connection
       NewtonBackupUtility (NBU)
       230KSerialConnection with NewtonConnectionUtilities (NCU).
    USB Connection
       Use USB-to-Serial adapter and use Serial Connection technique.
       No direct USB connection available to Newton (04/2005).
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Apple MacOS X Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       OS X supports certain (which?) D-Link Bluetooth-USB-dongles and
internal Bluetooth adapters. Nothing required.
       Powerbooks can also use one specific Bluetooth-PC Card adapter,=20=

see
MacOSXBluetooth, requires Card Blues Suite driver.
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       ???
    Serial Connection
       230KSerialConnection with Escale.
       ???
    USB Connection
       Use USB-to-Serial adapter and use Serial Connection-technique.
       No direct USB connection available to Newton (04/2005).
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Apple Newton Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       Blunt is EckhartK=F6ppen's excellent Newton-Bluetooth driver =
(Blunt=20
2 is
currently under development, 04/2005).
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       ???
    Serial Connection
       Serial Speed extensions Ser57600, Ser115200, Ser230400
    USB Connection
       n/a (04/2005)
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Apple Newton Survival Tools
    All sorts of stuff your Green Buddy needs to bash desktop computers=20=

and
other villains into submission and get his way with 'em.
    Newton OS 1.x
       ??? =09
    Newton OS 2.0
       ???
    Newton OS 2.1
       ???

Linux Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       ???
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       ???
    Serial Connection
       ???
    USB Connection
       ???
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Microsoft Windows Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       ???
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       ???
    Serial Connection
       NewtonBackupUtility (NBU)
    USB Connection
       ???
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Next Connectivity
    Bluetooth
       ???
    Ethernet (LAN)
       ???
    IrDA Connection
       ???
    Serial Connection
       ???
    USB Connection
       ???
    WLAN Connection
       ???

Any other devices (mobile phones, PDAs, etc. -- which manufacturer,=20
which
OS?)
    Bluetooth
       ???