Re: [NTLK] New newton page

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 17:34:45 PDT

Hi Steve,

Just spotted the heated dialog while skimming my Digest today. Just to let
you know, talking about price on this list is bound to spark a heated
debate. Some folks will even tell you right off the bat that they will
flame you! Believe me, I know! A lot of these folks have a gazillion
reason why they think Newton software pricing is "hunky dory" the way it is.
Many of those reasons are justified, others not. But their as passionate as
Steven Jobs himself about their position, which is what helps to keep that
"flame" red hot.

But you are 100% correct when you say that you have "a right to express
yourself."

Another fact is that developers of the software you want to buy may, in some
cases, negotiate with you on price. Goodness knows I have a commitment to
doing that within my own business (which has nothing to do with Newton, by
the way). But if you come across one those rare Newton developers who
exercise their right to refuse any price breaks, then it's just a matter for
you to either pay the full amount or not buy the software at all.

Again, I do understand where you're coming from though. Sometimes we want
to buy something but the valuation is above the "usefulness we may get out
of it." I've paid top dollar for many Newton apps I use all the time, and
others I don't use all the time, like ATA Support which I found to be a bit
too slow for everyday use so I have relegated it to occasional backups. But
I'm not upset for paying Paul so much money because (1) ATA Support is an
outstanding piece of work and (2) Paul is continuing to develop it and (3)
he was very responsive to my emails.

Buying stuff for an old platform is a hard choice. I usually spend anywhere
from 2 weeks to 2 months pondering a purchase for my 2100 or SE/30 prior to
plunking down my cash. But most of the time, I have no regrets after
spending the money.

Hope this helps.

Best,

James Wages