Re: [NTLK] Software Issue. Vaporware designation

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 15:41:56 PDT

On May 25, 2005, at 3:56 PM, Alex Santos wrote:

> I still
> think that any platform, obviously the Newton in this case, with
> software which is for all intents and purposes vaporware, unless the
> software is supported and in development shouldn't be gauged at $50.

What gauges the prise, however, is the market. Since the Newton market=20=

is small, and the amount of software available for it is also small,=20
this, in some cases, drives the prices up. In other cases, I suspect=20
the prices are kept high, simply to discourage people from buying it!=20
If they lowered the price, in the end, as more people purchased it, the=20=

clamor would get greater for something else to be done. Giving software=20=

away is not always feasible or desirable for a developer. At that=20
point, since developer is the one who wrote and owns the rights to it,=20=

we ought to respect that.

But in any case, I wish the subject hadn't been brought up yet again.=20
It always degrades into a rather ugly shout match...
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa