Re: [NTLK] Trouble syncing via Basilisk

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 06:13:40 PDT

Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:
> Windows network on both machines says the protocols are
> there and bound firmly to the ethernet adapters. Made sure
> NCU within the emulated Macs used AppleTalk. Plugged in.
> Tried to connect. Nothing happened. Newton couldn't find the
> "Mac", apparently no packets sent, nothing. Changed Basilisk
> builds (from 142 to JIT and back), deinstalled and reinstalled,
> changed ROMs, increased and decreased memory, changed
> on the Mac to "OpenTransport" and back, started filesharing
> and program sharing, looked into the MacTCP settings and

Don't use MacTCP. Stick with OpenTransport.

> left them unchanged, checked with the chooser if indeed AppleTalk
> was active (it was), changed the "multicast packets" and the
> "Identifying self" settings in the Ethernet tab
> (Basilisk preferences) - to absolutely no avail.

Did you set the AppleTalk control panel to use EtherTalk?

> * In the XP-machine's Basilisk Config Tool (which is the hacked one to
> make JIT-things possible) the network adapter doesn't
> show up as something Realtek (which it is), but as a string
> of numbers and characters in brackets, which looks very
> much like a windows registry string. ?

That's OK, it's just using the GUID assigned to the card instead of the card name.

> * I don't know if I'm using the right connection cable. Tested
> two different network cables, the results were the same. Does
> one have to use a cable with special specs to get the job done?

Uhm.... are you plugging the cable from your Newton's ethernet card directly
into the Ethernet port on your PC? If you are, that won't work. You either
need two cables and a hub or a "crossover" Ethernet cable and an RJ45F-RJ45F
connector.