Re: [NTLK] LocusNotes synching

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 07:04:43 PDT

I cannot agree more.
But I have to admit that for us it IS possible to access LN from the
external world.
Of course there was a huge effort needed to implement that, including a
virtual network client and a special authentication key (electronic password
generator).

Apart from the fact that I follow Marco's philiosophy as well having the
Newt as the one and only MASTER PIM for dates, addresses and other vital
information like passwords, PIN-codes etc.
I would like to have a possibility to sync at least dates and names to my
LN.

The only version of the LN client that exists (Cadenza) and that I tried,
was for an earlier version of LN (IIRC below R5). What I did was to set up
an old machine running LN 4.5 and there I installed the client. But I had no
success with the communication between the Newt and the cadenza server,
which was also related to the fact that I am not an expert in LN.

One thing I do not agree with Marco is that since LN is a reasonably well
organised database with all sorts of replication possibilities, it is in my
opinion "only" a matter of writig the right software to filter the
interesting pieces of information out of the LN database and format it in a
Newton friendly way before transmitting it to the Newt.
I think the idea was to have a "Newton database" in LN that contains the
Newt related information only and that can be replicated with a standard LN
database like calendar or address book.

It was reported later that if you install cadenza under LN R4.5 once and
have an update to R5 later, the whole thing would still work. But as soon as
R5 is installed, cadenza refuses installation.
I found out that there is one expert on that topic in germany, but I never
ever managed to get really in contact with him in order to sort that out.

So maybe there is another expert in LN out there who could help the Newt
community in that respect.

So far my few pennies to the discussion...

Cheers
Johannes