[NTLK] [OT] Mac OS X Panther Question

From: St. Campbell (prince.edward.island_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 14:41:36 PDT

I have in my possession one of the original styled iBooks [Indigo] (yes,
the toilet seat, or woman's blush compact model) that I have fitted out
with 320MB of RAM and Mac OS X Panther (10.3.9) with all the latest
patches. This piece of equipment has served me more reliably than a 1
year old Windows box from HP and it is truly amazing what can be done
with older technology when one puts their mind to it.

Anyway, unfortunately, two rather large problems have eluded a solution
and as a last resort (more out of pride than out of doubt) I have
decided to try and ask around on several forums and lists. I am hoping
that someone might have a definitive, step-by-step guide on how to go
about doing these things (pretend like you are talking to a complete idiot).

And just a note, I can reliably ping, and share files back and forth
between the units by enabling Internet connection sharing (share my
Dial-up account through my AirPort card). I can also connect a phone
line to the iBook and browse the Internet wirelessly on the desktop.

First question: I am on a wireless ad-hoc network at home that accesses
the Internet through dial up. I would like to share this connection from
the Windows XP box to the iBook. This means that the phone line goes
into the desktop and is wirelessly shared to the iBook. Now, I have set
up the AirPort settings to point to 10.0.2.3 (the desktop) as the
router, set the subnet mask so that they match 255.255.255.0, and
manually assigned the IP address of the iBook as 10.0.2.1. I have also
(supposedly, although this question would stand in evidence to the
contrary) enabled Internet sharing on the Windows box with the identical
settings where applicable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Question #2:

The only way I can connect to my Windows box is to type Apple Key + K
and connect to the desktop through SAMBA. Is there anyway for me to have
this automatically every time the iBook powers up. I don't midn the
occasional error about not being able to connect when I am not on my
wireless network.

Anyway, I apologize for the poor structure of this as I am facing wit's
end and do feel like kicking my Windows box and throwing RedHat on
it.... *sigh*

-St.