Re: [NTLK] newton mail problem

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 31 2005 - 15:07:41 PDT

Who is providing your SMTP?
You need to specify the server that is going to handle
the SENDING of your email as well as the server that
is handling the RECEIVING of your email.
All receiving servers will send mail no matter
what....but mail server that send mail usually will be
restricted in some way in how it accepts mail. (this
is to prevent massive spamming...it's called an open
mail relay)
The internet mail system was originaly designed with
open relay's in mind, but unscrupulous people
(marketeers) exploited this naivete and used somebody
elses bandwidth to send out the garbage they hawk.
As a result, people who have mail servers that send
mail (SMTP servers) have locked them down in several
standardized ways.
1) Allow mail only from people coming from a certain
block of IPs. This is handy for an ISP if they own
netblocks. They can restrict the acceptance of mail
only from the IPs that their customers will be using.
This becomes a problem if you set up your Newton to
send email at home, but when you go to work, it
doesn't send email.
To fix this, you need to set up a "work" location in
the Owners box and put in the mail server that your
work uses(since you will be using a work IP, and the
work server will only accept mail from an IP it knows)

2) require authentication. This is used by ISPs that
have multiple netblocks or no prefered netblocks that
their clients are using. This will require that every
time you send mail, you have to log into the mail
server...This is automated by the client when you
click on the "Authentication" button.
This is handled by the Newton using Simplemail by
opening the Owners and scrolling down to the mail
setup and hitting the "Set Password" button. Put in
the login information supplied by your ISP to check
your email...this is usualy the same information to
authenticate for email sending.

I hope this helps you.
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- Hubert Napierała <hubert_at_gazeta.pl> wrote:
> I got my Newt on line- I can surf the net and
> recieve email but I
> cannot send them. When I send an email an error
> window appears saying:
>
> An error occurred. I said "RCPT TO <email here>" and
> the server said
> "550 replaying blocked, read new mail, add
> 217.99.109.33 to forwarding
> or enable smtp authentication.
>
> I looked in the internet setup, but couldn't find
> any solution. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial