Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 11:27:56 PST

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 10:40:06AM -0700, James Grubic wrote:
> We also have a few MDD units here and they are unusually loud. The
> fans seem to kick in and are noticeable. We had one which literally
> sounded like an airplane ready to take off. It had every internal part
> replacement and Apple eventually gave up and sent us a G5.

I always chuckle hearing Mac owners complain about "loud". My main
server at home is a Dell Poweredge, with three high-RPM drives in
it. Toss in two CPU fans. The Poweredge line has a fan in back that's
almost twice the diameter (~150mm) of a typical computer fan (80mm), and
it runs ALL THE TIME, not just when the machine is sweating. You can
talk over the noise it makes, but there's not much point in listening to
violin music in the same room, and a whisper is completely drowned out.

--
Science is like sex:
 sometimes something useful comes out, but that's not why we're doing it.