[NTLK] The ultimate newthold?

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 12:52:27 PST

I've taken a look at all of the latest designs. They're interesting, and I commend the designers for taking time to come up with the drafts. However, I did not see anything that really appealed to me for my everyday Newton usage.

First off, I don't know how important it would be to incorporate a keyboard holder. How many "mobile Newton users" actually use their keyboards on a day-to-day basis? Probably a small percentage of the overall list, I am sure. Personally, I've not plugged a keyboard into my Newts in over a year.

Most people use their Newton in portrait mode for writing notes, tracking data, arranging their schedules, playing games, etc. In light of this, I'd personally rather see a Newton holder that accomodates using the Newton at the desktop level -- next to the desktop, I mean. I'd like to see an L-shaped bracket with a hinge that would allow the Newton to tilt forward or backward. Mount the holder on a low-profile swivel base that could be attached to a desk or table top. That would be something that I would be interested in purchasing. Anybody have an idea for a piece that could be pirated to make a low-profile swivel mounting? i saw something that was ideal at a cashier's station at the local "Big Lot" -- the mounting bracket for the credit card reader. I need something similar, but I'd rather not invest several hundred dollars for the sake of having a cool-looking Newton holder!

Lately, I've been wondering if a female threaded mount could be installed into the MP 2X00 casing, similar to what is found on the back of eMates. With such a mount, it might be convenient to use some parts from camera holders or tripods to create a unique Newton mounting. Anybody know if there's room to install such a mount in an MP 2X00 without compromisig the device's performance or structural integrity?
I would not use a camera tripod, but I could surely throw something together with old tripod parts. Just another idea I'm throwing out there...

I'm not completely against the holder that incorporates a keyboard, just saying that other design considerations might be available.

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan, USA

.ssel ekat .erom evig