Re: [NTLK] Broken glass (display still intact)

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 08:35:48 PST

> The question is, can the glass be replaced?
> I saw a web site once that explained the
> process for separating the glass from the
> display.

The 2x00 displays are a combination of three
things that can be replaced separately:

1) Backlight

2) LCD

3) Digitizer

You can separate the digitizer from the rest
of the display. I have described how to do
this with MP1x0 displays here:

    http://www.pda-soft.de/mp_1x0_display.html

It isn't much different for the 2x0 models.

The digitizer consists of three layers (from
top to bottom):

1) Touchscreen foil

2) Almost invisible layer of some stuff that
   is attached to the top side of the glass pane.
   I'd assume that there's a similar layer on the
   bottom side of the digitizer foil, but I'm
   not sure.

3) The glass pane

The almost invisible layer is required to get a
resistance value that depends on where the
bottom side of the digitizer foil touches the
glass pane during pen input. This is how the
Newton traces the pen location. Replacing the
glass pane would not help unless you could put
the resistor layer stuff on it again, which
you can't. Been there, done that. Apart from that,
you will have a hard time getting such a thin
glass pane. I spent a fortune on having some
panes for eMate displays made for me before I
found out about the invisible layer...

Frank