Re: [NTLK] Expense Plus (printing using LPR to OSX)

From: andrewfox_at_mac.com
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 00:44:41 PST

Hi,
Hope the following sheds some more light on the "Newton + Printing +
Mac" wheel of fortune for you and anyone else.

LPR, LPD and IPP printing are NOT browsable protocols. By that I mean
that within OS X's Printer Utility you will never "see" an LPR or LPD
printer on the same network as your Mac. If you want to print to your
printer via LPR or LPD from your Mac then you don't need a
manufacturer specific printer driver but you might well need the
correct PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file installed.

Selecting LPR as the chosen protocol will produce a slip that asks
you to fill in the printer's IP, a Printer name and a Queue name (the
latter is optional). Be careful with print queue names as they should
NOT have spaces.

The key is that the printer will need to have an IP address set
within it's internal config to allow LPR/LPD printing to function.
Most current and many older Laserprinters allow you to do this either
via a manufacturer supplied GUI app or via a web browser.

Alternatively if your laserprinter is connected via USB then you will
probably/certainly need the manufacturer specific driver installed
unless your printer model is covered by the Gimp print drivers that
are supplied by default with Panther and Tiger (10.3 and 10.4)

To print to a printer from your Newton that you can already print to
from your Mac should be simply a case of using the Macs current IP
address as the destination address when configuring the Newton's LPR
driver. You will also need an Internet Setup/Worksite config on the
Newton that matches that of your Mac. Just make sure the Newt's IP
address is different but the subnet mask (255.255.255.0 is common)
should be the same. You might also find it really useful to turn on
Printer Sharing on your Mac via the Sharing System Preference pane
beforing attempting to print.

Hope this helps and I'll try to answer any follow-up questions in a
shorter fashion Brian:-)

regards
Andrew