Re: [NTLK] Expense Plus (printing using LPR to OSX)

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 10:28:58 PST

On Nov 24, 2005, at 7:12 AM, Brian wrote:

> Right Marty thanks for that bit of information - I'm using 10.4.3 so
> we can ignore that.
Yes, that's good then.

> Let's continue on this thread rather than start another - ok?
That seems fine, I am going to change the subject line though to make
it more informational...

> Well this is what happens - or rather doesn't!
>
> Following Kallysis instructions - I've tried to get LPR set up.
> Using the Printer name from Printer Utility and the server name as
> XXX.local where XXX is the computer name - is this correct or should
> I use a 192.168.0.? address instead - neither seems to work properly.
I would personally use the naked IP address of the Mac. You can check
it from the System Preferences dialog, by selecting network and then
selecting "built in Ethernet" this assumes the mac is hard wired.
Using the name SHOULD be ok too, but that relies on looking up the name
and resolving it to the #, so we eliminate that potential problem by
using the #.#.#.#

> What should I use on the third entry lp as default or pdfprinting as
> per K's website?
I think you are referring to the queue name? I think the Kallysis
directions are right on, unless the queue name was manually changed. A
neat trick to check this is to open your browser and in the top line
type the URL http://localhost:631

This is a web interface to the CUPS system, which should show you the
printers and some info if you poke around a bit. You can also prove
that the printer is actually configured properly by printing a test
page from here. Try this, just for giggles. This will eliminate the
possibility that HP has created a non standard print driver that is
going to drive us insane.

> What happens is that the wi-fi connection goes through and the slip
> says it's searching for XXX.local then the slip just vanishes nothing
> happens and the wi-fi is left hanging and doesn't disconnect until
> you remove the card.

Ok, how is your wireless setup connected? What kind of wireless base
are you using and how are the wireless and wired networks connected?
This could be an issue depending on how the two networks (wired and
wireless) are bridged.

You could also try turning on the personal web sharing from the mac's
sharing preferences and then test the connection to the mac using a
Newton web browser. This could PROVE that the routing via WIFI to the
presumably wired mac is OK?

> Help please?
We will try. Woody's idea is a good one also, although you shouldn't
need to do that really. The information he is pointing to shows you
how to configure a printer in OSX to print via Gimpprint and CUPS(which
is in fact what we need).

IF the above web based CUPS print controller doesn't show you your HP
printer, you could then read the directions Woody pointed to, and try
configuring the HP that way. Of course you are free to read that info
either way...

Currently is seems more like a connection issue though.

Marty