[NTLK] Re(2): need help setting up wifi

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 03:41:55 PDT

Matt,

Just to elaborate, the more I think about your topology the more I
"think" it may be just a simple DNS issue. For example, I've n noticed
on ALL my PC's and MAC's that whenever I use a static setup I MUST also
manually set one or two DNS IP addresses in the configuration, otherwise
the browser does just as you say and never displays anything. With DHCP
on the other hand the DNS IP's I believe are assigned along with the
client IP automatically, that's why you don't have to configure the DNS
IP when using DHCP. Just a thought. So if you are setting up the Newton
to use a Static IP then you may also have to enter the DNS IP. I have
not gotten this far, i.e. any Internet connectivity whatsoever on my
Newton as I'm still just learning the fundamentals, so if what I'm
suggesting is not even "possible" on a Newton, i.e. setting a DNS IP,
then I apologize for my ignorance, but if you can set the DNS IP it sure
sounds familiar to me. Let us know.

John

10/2/05 Matt Howe issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?