Re: [NTLK] operating system

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (der_admiral_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 10:19:00 PDT

I must say that Cell Phone addressbooks and datebooks stink big time -
compared to PDA addressbooks. I started using a smartphone in 2001 and swore
that I would never go back to a plain old phone - ever again :)

I don't know how well PDAs are selling - smartphones are doing well though
from what I hear

On 4/10/05 13:04, "Norman Palardy" <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 04, 2005, at 10:46 AM, John Hay wrote:

> Because, if you look at the history of PDA's, from he Newton on up, the
> "killer app" that made it so everyone would HAVE to have one is the
> address book and maybe the date book.
>
> This resides in most cell phones now.
>
> More functional PDA's like the Newton landed squarely in a market that
> was not general enough to sell huge numbers, but still had a great
> following and was VERY applicable in lots of narrower vertical markets.
>
> The powers that be have deigned that this segmented market , while
> large, is not worth going after.
>
> Palm did, and now is relegated to ... well ... selling hi end cell
> phones mostly in the Treo.
> RIM is also in this state where they are more a fancy cell phone than
> anything else.
>
> I dont know that any of the WinCE PDA's sell well, and I'm sure they
> get used in vertical markets more than wide spread adoption by every
> potential user, just like the Newton did.

 Technology Geek