[NTLK] Form Follows Function (was something else, I forget now ;-)

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 11 2005 - 09:59:00 PDT

Absolutely I AM A _MAC_ USER to death do us part ;-)
And will proclaim so until I am silenced!
For the truth shall see you free, sorry, just couldn't resist, I know, trite.

Don't mean to digress to far OT, but to my way of thinking this all
relates back to the self-fulfilling timelessness of great design in and
of itself, [er, ah] .....such as the quintessential design
incarnate ....the Newton.

Timeless, simple, powerful, intuitive, no holds barred, no stone left
unturned, all deconstructed down to the very core of the essence of
functionality which equals the time-honored truism "form follows
function." Sorry for over-romanticizing the likes of the Newton, but
it's true to me staring us all in the face, why can't the rest of the
world see the magic and the beauty?

Funny thing is, between being dyslexic, and equally not wanting the
propaganda purveyors to poison my perception of the real world (can you
tell I'm an aging hippie ;-) I actually go out of my way to avoid most
mainstream media, being the rebel without a cause that I am, even in my
old age, 50.

What I do read are things like the "Village Voice" newspaper, who had
the guts during the Vietnam war to speak out and scream loudly until we
listened before it because the topic de rigor of the, and other "un-
homogenized" news feeds, not to mention using my sense of sight and
sound ;-) to just observe and listen what's happening on the streets.

So, perhaps my revulsion and ignorance of the corporate spoon-fed
pabulum is misguided, or maybe I'm just a visionary, or maybe like I
said ....a rebel without a cause, who knows, LOL. In any event I
look forward to tomorrow as a clean slate to start life all over again
from scratch. Someday Apple will surprise us all and finally unveil the
iEverything that's a cellphone, ipod, Newton, etc. etc. etc.

More recently I've noticed their business model to stick to the knitting
in the sense of launching only the tiniest variety of innovative new
mainstream gadgets with the knowledge that utopian design _will_ carry
the market on it's coat-tails all the way to the back. Just my slanted
take on life, my 2 cents worth, a few degrees off most of the time, but
for me that keeps things interesting.

John

10/11/05 RAParker issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?