[NTLK] Wireless NIC Drivers Registration, and more

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 09:33:51 PDT

Hi all,
I recently sent in my registration to the japanese fellow who wrote the WiFi
driver. I haven't heard back yet. How long does he usually take to respond?
Thanks!

Also, on average, if I register:

1) ATA Driver
2) NewtsCape
3) NewtFTP

How long do the respective authors respectively take on a respective average
to respectfully respect my wishes for a reg-code? Just planning ahead. If I
decide that I need the ATA driver for some project or by some date, should I
send in registration a month early, or does he get back to you over night?

NEXT: What WiFi Nic for the Newton uses the least battery power to get the
job done (whatever that job may be). My Wavelan Bronze drains a pack full of
Energizer e^2s in very little time under 'constant' usage (i.e. normal
usage, if the wifi card were in a laptop and I was sitting around surfing
the web). So... sitting around surfing the web on my Newton with my Wavelan
card goes through about 4 batteries every hour or so. Not a great rate. Do
the Newton battery packs (the original/rebuilt rechargeable ones) fair
significantly better than 4 AAs?

NEXT: I saw that the NetHopper website mentions some sort of PDA-Proxy
server that transforms documents on their server to be more PDA friendly
once delivered to a PDA browser. Is their PDA proxy the only example of such
a nice idea, or are there others, and is anyone here using them? I'd love to
run one on my servers.

NEXT: Has anyone explored a PNG translator for NewtsCape. If we want Newtons
to not be stuck in the past, we need to move with the times and get some PNG
viewing ability while surfing the web. I'd be interested in writing such a
tool myself, but have no idea where to start - I've never developed on a
Newton. The only image Translator I've written was for BeOS, and I suspect
the environments are different significantly. I'm, BTW, suggesting we go
full tilt and get transparent PNGs - we could implement PNGs as poorly as
IE5 does and still be better off.

NEXT: Why does LunaSuite have issues navigating to websites whose URLs do
not begin with 'www' on my Newt? For example:
gmail.google.com<http://gmail.google.com>,
home.comcast.net <http://home.comcast.net>, etc. Is it a DNS issue on my end
(which doesn't make much sense to me since other computers use the same DNS
sans probleme, or a bug in Lunasuite, or a bug in NIE, or what?

Danke!