Re: [NTLK] Wireless NIC Drivers Registration, and more

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 04:36:28 PDT

On Oct 12, 2005, at 10:14 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:33:51 -0400
> From: Zoont Foomby <zoontf_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] Wireless NIC Drivers Registration, and more

> Also, on average, if I register:
>
> 1) ATA Driver
> 2) NewtsCape
> 3) NewtFTP
>
> How long do the respective authors respectively take on a
> respective average
> to respectfully respect my wishes for a reg-code? Just planning
> ahead. If I
> decide that I need the ATA driver for some project or by some date,
> should I
> send in registration a month early, or does he get back to you over
> night?

for Newt's Cape, I usually respond within a few hours after I receive
notification from PayPal or Kagi if it's during daylight hours, or at
least by next day (unless I'm travelling -- then it might be 2-3 days).

> NEXT: Has anyone explored a PNG translator for NewtsCape. If we
> want Newtons
> to not be stuck in the past, we need to move with the times and get
> some PNG
> viewing ability while surfing the web. I'd be interested in writing
> such a
> tool myself, but have no idea where to start - I've never developed
> on a
> Newton. The only image Translator I've written was for BeOS, and I
> suspect
> the environments are different significantly. I'm, BTW, suggesting
> we go
> full tilt and get transparent PNGs - we could implement PNGs as
> poorly as
> IE5 does and still be better off.

no implementation of a PNG translator that I'm aware of. the basic
steps would involve registering the plugin as a Newt's Cape helper
app (and following some special calling conventions for graphics
since these are handled within the document like .gif and .jpg rather
than a separate doc), converting PNG to a Newton bitmap-compatible
format (while mapping colors to b&w, ,4 or 16 grays). how many sites
these days rely exclusively on .png rather than other formats?

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/