Re: [NTLK] Defragging Newton

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 11:47:15 PDT

There may be, but it may not be worth it really.
I've been using a newton ever since my 120 v1.3.
I have only reset my newton when necessary.
And now, it is a real pain to do so because I am using
Dashboard with the QuickLaunch feature. Every time I
have to reset my Newton, I lose all the links between
the QuickLaunch gesture and the app it is set to run.
So, I don't like to reset my Newt much...
There are, however some house keeping duties you can
perform to keep you Newt's internal working tidy.
1) TrashPak. I like to run TrashPak every once in a
while and delete soups that are no longer necessary
because I have removed the app or don't want the data
any longer. Be careful because you can do major damage
to the Newt if you delete the wrong thing
2) XNewtBook. I read a lot of books on my
newt...Unfortunatly, the Library soup likes to keep a
list of every book installed on the Newt...I don't
know one way or another, but logic dictates that if
you have several hundred books listed in your Library
Soup that it is slowing *something* down. I like to go
through this and delete books from the soup that are
no longer installed on the Newt
3) alt.rec If you are using this handy addition to the
handwriting recognition system, then you need to tell
the newt which correction items it has seen are to be
kept or thrown away. In Notepad, hit the Keyboard
icon. then on the keyboard, hit that icon on the far
left that looks like a book. A window that shows
expansions, will pop up. And another window will pop
up in front of that that shows corrections that you
have not verified that alr.rec has identified. Go
through the list and delete the ones you know are
wrong...and while you're there, go through your
expansions and delete the ones you don't use anymore
or are just wrong.

Other than backing up the internal memory on a
semi-regular basis, I do these three things whenever I
remember...which isn't very often...and honestly? I
probably don't even notice that there is anything
un-towards in how my Newt behaves.
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- John Hay <OceanCity_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Obviously there is a time and a place to do a soft
> reset when something
> on the Newton isn't working right, and I have not
> yet run into any
> circumstance which a soft reset did not cure. I am
> trying my best to
> *limit* the number of pkgs installed so as not to
> complicate the
> possibilities of corruption.
>
> My question is, unlike a hard drive which benefits
> from good
> housekeeping by running DiskWarrior and Resetting
> Permissions, etc. from
> time to time, is it prudent or even of any value
> whatsoever to do a soft
> reset on a Newton simply s a matter of routine
> maintenance from time to
> time, say once a week or so? TIA, John

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial