Re: [NTLK] Converge

From: Morgan Aldridge (makkintosshu_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 08:56:30 PDT

Well, VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) could probably be
implemented on the Newton and could be used over any Internet
connection. Unfortunately, even though most of the audio codecs used
are mono, they still tend to require more processing power than the
Newton has (or, more accurately, has to spare... especially when
using an Internet connection).
There are PCI Cellular cards available, but not only would one have
to write Newton drivers for them, but I highly doubt that you can
reasonably hack them to allow voice communication as they're designed
for mobile data connections.

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant_at_makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/
On Oct 17, 2005, at 11:25 AM, John Hay wrote:
[snip]
> I guess that if you had your Newton with you and didn't have your cell
> phone then it would make perfect sense to use the Newton as a phone
> and
> as you say the space is even correct!
>
> Assuming the above to be a valid premiss, then what would be the real-
> world chances of getting a Newton to emulate what a cell phone
> does?  I
> have no idea, just wondering if it would even be within the realm of
> possibility.  Obviously some type of a card would be needed, but would
> such an animal even exist ?  Then how'd you do all the coding to make
> the hardware and the software actually work?  Who know, perhaps there
> was a provision made in the original design that ended up in
> production
> somehow whereby this could become a reality ?
[snip]