[NTLK] Stupid Backup Question, Wisdom Required

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 06:25:47 PDT

I have an entire workstation, an old dual G4, set up with a Native
Clissic 9.2.1 operating system installed, NO OSX, etc. just Classic, and
a Stealth Serial port for cabling to my 2100.

I know I can make as reliable as possible full Newton backups from my
2100 via cable using NCU (Newton Connection Utility) on my desktop. The
backups then of course reside on my dual G4 for possible emergency
recovery and restore to any one of my 2100's. In addition, I also make
complete backups to Flash Cards, etc.

My QUESTIONS are:

1. Is there a way on my newer desktop PowerMac dual _G_5_ running
_Tiger_ OSX 10.4.2 that I can run a _Native_ OSX application, along the
lines of "NewTen" which I can use to do cabled backups from my Newton
2100 via my KeySpan USA-19HS dongle?

2. If so, what would be the name of the _Native_ OSX application?

3. Also, would you consider this backup, being that it's not a "true
Legacy" connection as with my _G4_, to be as accurate as the one I know
is good running under virgin Classic? I note that I always seem to get
100% reliable Newton installations using "NewTen" and I never do nor do
I ever plan on doing any "syncing" between my Newtons and my desktops in
order to relay data updates back and forth. I ONLY use my Newton as a
"mobile stand-alone" device.

TIA, John