Re: [NTLK] Daily Backups to Flash Cards

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 07:05:15 PDT

I purposely, by design, do not use a flash card for any reason and store
ALL my packages internally.

This is for the simple reason that I only use my Newton 2100 as mobile
stand-alone device mainly for Calendaring, Contact, and ToDo Scut Lists.

I have no mobile communication needs, email or Internet, or otherwise,
and do not "sync" my Newton data with any desktops as this would be
counter-productive to the simplicity which is by design and meets all of
my requirement for mobile PDA'ing. The only other device I carry with
me besides my Newton is a cell phone. Incidentally, I even tried using a
Treo 650 before I went totally to my Newton as this amazing little
device is functional in terms of my needs, but the screen and keyboard
are way too small for me. And besides I really don't want to type the
Bible on the head of a pin using toothpicks ;-) (Sorry Treo people, my
eyes are not that good any more, I don't like Graffitti, and if I need a
keyboard I plug the Newton into a Newton keyboard or a Stowaway
keyboard, otherwise you just can't beat the Newton's handwriting
capabilities as far as I am concerned.

I use Dashboard, TimeTrax, ExpensePlus, RotateBook, MacInTalk,
SpeakText, and that's it. I want to keep my Newton as lean as possible.

This simple foundation of packages allows me to accomplish all of my
PIM///CRM///PM (Personal Information Management///Client Relations
Management///Project Management) needs. Additionally the audio
applications allow me to hear spoken text from my Newtons while I am
driving or otherwise occupied, etc.

My theory is that "Less is More" and I do not want to clutter up my
soups and packages unless there is a true need in order to accomplish my
goals of PIM///CRM///PM.

As such, I am able to easily install and run all my packages and data
internally (I think even on a 2000, as well as easily on a 2100), thus
eliminating expanded or addition memory needs and therefore never use
any flash cards. This is all intentional to keep my data integrity as
good as possible.

Therefore, I am able to do FULL package and data backups daily to one of
ten flash cards which I use in rotation, a new one (the oldest one) each day.

Therefore, I never need to backup any on-board auxiliary flash card(s)
in the first place because I purposely do not need or use one for my day-
to-day needs.

So far so good. In the event of a hardware problem or loss, all I do is
get out a new Newton, do a hard-reset, get out my last flash card and
click on RESTORE. Done. I'm totally back up and running 100% in under
five minutes and can proceed with my work.

One thing that suggested to me that I had NO IDEA even existed, by Woo,
is that there is some kind of a "self-correcting" data integrity check
going on behind the scenes when you do _cabled_ backups to a
_workstation_, therefore, in addition to my flash cards I will
DEFINITELY want to start running some occasional cabled backups to my G4
or G5 as well!

Any hints or suggestion to my procedures graciously and greatly
appreciated, TIA, John.

All comments and ideas always welcome ! ! ! !

10/26/05 Jon Glass issued the following: