[NTLK] Serial port addition

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 05:44:59 PDT

How refreshing it is to know there are still Newton hardware developers out there who are at least looking into the development of new hardware for our platform! It's nice to know there are at least a few folks within the Community who spend a few moments each day pondering new add-ons to boost the Newton's productivity!

For programmers out there in need of project ideas, consideration for any of the following would be greatly appreciated:

* Adding additional functionality to Newton Connection Utilities, to make transfer of Newton drawings from Notes to a PC desktop possible (There may be a way to do this already with another program, but NCU, as the common interconection utility, SHOULD have such capabilities as well).

* Software that would allow low-bitrate .mp3 files to be converted to play on other model Newtons than the MP2100. Could the application be tweaked to perhaps allow an eMate or MP 2000 to play .mps files? Could something be done with the MOD Player app? Would there be a way to easily convert an .mp3 file type to a .MOD file type?

* Additional codecs, or whatever they're called, for some of the IrDA remote control programs out there. It doesn't make sense to have to hunt down an old television, simply to take advantage of the existing Newton TV software capabilities!

* A clear explaination for a workaround to lack of dial-up Internet service for those of us who don't wish to pay for three separate ISP services. For example, I have AOL and a Comcast account, neirther which allow me to use Internet or e-mail on my Newton (I had Earthlink for a while, but it seemed an unnecessary extra expense). Question: Could I use an ethernet card on my Newton to access the Internet connection of my laptop? My concern is in finding a way to extract and send e-mail files from my Notes to other Newton users.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan, USA