Re: [NTLK] Serial port addition

From: newton_at_allaboutjake.com
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 05:06:00 PDT

You'll find this discussed in the archives. Search for 'FDTI', because
the early discsussion centered around using FDTI USB-to-Serial IC's.

The SiliconLabs CP2103 chips caught my eye, and I may even have a design
somewhere for a "USB-001" board based on the 2103. I really like the 2103
because it doesn't need any of the extra hardware that the FDTI chiped
used to (FDTI required an external memory chip to hold the USB device
information.

I don't recall how far I got before I abandoned the USB stuff for the
Bluetooth board instead. I'll have to check around.

A really exciting peripheral would be a dual-USB card with one client port
that passes through to Serial0 (CP210x or whatever) and a second HOST port
using something like a USBWiz to Serial3:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/USBwiz.htm

A USBwiz host would require some device-driver-wizardry of its own.
However imagine being able to connect any USB keyboard instead of the
newt's custom one.

Fun ideas yes, but I'm not really motivated enough to take up such a
project. I'll stick to completing my BT-001 v1.1, wich is currently
stalled while I wait for my PCB manufcaturer to start taking orders
again...

Jake