Re: [NTLK] Tablet PC Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 08:23:37 PDT

oliver oli wrote:
> bill bennett wrote:
>
>>My understanding is that the Tablet edition of Windows
>>is overlaid on top of everyday XP. So in principal
>>there shouldn't be a problem getting Linux to run on
>>Tablet hardware -- though of course there are likely
>>to be missing drivers and applications. This line of
>>thinking potentially turns to custard if there are any
>>proprietary MS hardware components in a Tablet PC.
>>Could that be the case?
>

> linux supports laptops very well. the only difference between a laptop
> and a tablet-pc is the tablet that is integrated in the screens. these
> tablets are wacom tablets, which are supported by the X server. i guess
> that XP for Tablet-PC provides much better software that is written for
> a pen based interface.

I beg to differ: Linux is basically unusable on tablet PCs, simply
because Linux has _no_ native HWR software. There are a couple of
Graffiti knock-offs hovering about on the Web, but I cannot see the
point of downgrading a tablet PC to a glorified Palm.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm a great Linux fan, and all my desktop
workstations run Ubuntu exclusively. It's just that the Penguin is
waaayyy behind in the HWR race.

I could, of course, install an X server on the tablet, run Linux
programs remotely and use PenOffice as the input method (interestingly,
PenOffice is just about the only Windows HWR program that will allow you
to write into Linux programs this way, mainly because it doesn't try any
funny input schemes), but why bother?