Re: [NTLK] OQO lives...

From: Nicolas Roard (nicolas.roard_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 10:29:35 PDT

On 9/16/05, Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be> wrote:
> > Actually, there's HWR. But apparently it's not a cursive HWR.
>=20
> Yes, I just discovered that too. I hereby publicly apologize to Nokias
> 770 everywhere for doubting their HWR capabilities.
>=20
> On that note: does anyone on the list have any intel on that particular
> HWR? I'm very keen on Linux-based HWR (since there basically is none --
> yet).

It's apparently a proprietary HWR. Can't say more, I don't have a 770 (yet)=
 :-)
and the developer site don't really talk about it.

I must add that what's cool with the Newton, particularly in the notepad, i=
how the UI really takes advantage of the pen (like scribble to erase someth=
ing).

In my opinion, what is lacking on current PDA UIs is pen gestures.. to
have the UI beeing more intuitive because of the pen, and not just
consider the pen as some kind of mouse..

I don't think that will really change with the Nokia, although you
could probably use/adapt some kind of mouse gesture application (there
are a couple existing for linux). But well, it won't be as good as
beeing able to scribble to delete something :) -- for that you need
something more integrated at the toolkit level imho.

--=20
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke