Re: [NTLK] OT - Off topic - Photographers

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 09:19:23 PDT

I agree, but for instance, on your sunset picture,
let's say you want the beautiful colors of the sunset,
but you want your beautiful girlfriend/wife in the
fore ground to be fully illuminated as well...There is
no way around this except for using a flash. I usually
use one direct flast and at least 1 or two slave
flashes.
There are times when a flash is required...But one of
my pet peeves are people taking flash pictures of
fireworks...major *duh* here folks...
I took a look at your two pictures, and while I don't
konw what kind of camera you used to take the Alanis
picture, I have found that when taking pictures of
people on stage using the built-in exposure meter for
most SLRs, you get a washed out picture like you did.
The reason being is that the exposure meter in your
camera sets the exposure based on the average of the
entire image in the image finder. You need to either
set your camera exposure to "spot" or stop down your
exposure by 1 or 2 stops (it's basically a guess, but
I suggest you experiment on this a little). The
stopping down will give you better pictures than using
the spot exposure setting because *you* have control
of the exposure...I found that taking pictures using
spot, I forget and when I take a picture off center,
the exposure is washed out again...
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- John Hay <OceanCity_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is true as well.
>
> Personally I avoid ever using any flash when
> shooting as it whitewashes
> out all the deep beautiful colors that come through
> by using a slower
> shutter speed. Unless it's an extreme situation I
> can even hand hold the
> camera and get sharp images down to say 1/30 or 1/15
> second. Below that
> however I'd probably need to rest the camera on
> something or use a
> tripod. For example, both of these were shot hand
> held:
>
> <http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/sunrise.JPG>
> <http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/alanis_400-72.jpg>

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://mail.yahoo.com