Re: [NTLK] Trademark/Tradename

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 09:46:13 PDT

> I tried searching on wikiwikinewt for "Trademark" to see if there
> was an
> information pertaning to the Newton Trademark, who currently owns the
> rights, etc., but the search came up blank. Probably Apple still
> has the
> rights to the Newton Tradename/Trademark, but I don't actually know
> this
> for a fact.

For what it's worth, I *think* under Trademark Law a company has to
keep a trademark in use to maintain ownership. This isn't to say that
Apple has abandoned it, or has any intention of doing so, but it
could make it easier for another company to use it for this class of
product. (Though I'll bet most would avoid doing so, because the
Newton platform is by far best known as a failed product.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>
"Yesterday's Books for Today's Reader"