[NTLK] Re(2): [OT] Blind Courtesy Copies "How To" and why

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 06:30:42 PDT

9/27/05 Jason Self issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?

 <----snipped---->
>The easiest way (if you don't want to protect your private data such
>as your name and e-mail address is to not provide anyone with the
>information in the first place.

Yes, how true. There's no denying that !

>1.) Don't use an e-mail address that has your name in it (do something
>like user2710_at_host.com.) There are many anonymous mail systems
>available. Pick your favorite search engine & find some.

Again, absolutely true !

>2.) Reconfigure your email client not to send your name when sending
>email (enter your email address for your name or use an alias.)

Yes !

>3.) Don't put your name, website, email address, etc. in your
>signature. Very few (if any) people will take the time to edit that
>out.

Great points well presented, thank you Jason!

My only comment would be that, yes, I do have two anonymous mail
accounts, but they are such a pain to get up and use I rarely use them
unless there is a specific need, so I end up just using my one of
my .mac accounts most of the time in PowerMail, etc. simply because it's
quick and easy. But to be sure, I would have to totally agree with your
keen points noted regarding email privacy. You are absolutely correct
and thank you for your great post.

My only point was that the SENDER of any mass-emails who included my
name and email address in there "To:" list instead of using a BLIND CC
must also bear "some" of this responsibility, but clearly as you state,
not "all". It's so easy to just use BLIND COURTESY COPIES INSTEAD OF
VISIBLE ONES. But lots of people are not even aware of what they are
doing when they cut and paste away, then copy or forward to even more
recipients.

Again, and yes I am repeating and am wasting valuable bandwidth:
http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/BlindCourtesyCopies.html