Re: [NTLK] Linux on Newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 01:40:36 PDT

Le 27 sept. 05 =E0 19:28, Jason Self a =E9crit :

> Hello there.
> I'm working on getting a project together to port Linux to the Newton.
> Previously, the issue has been lack of information about the =20
> hardware. I'm
> hoping that, with the development of Einstein, you might be willing =20=

> to share
> what you've learned about the Newton's hardware to help support a =20
> Linux
> port? Please let me know, and thanks in advance. :-)

To get Linux running on the Newton, you need to be in supervisor mode =20=

to kill NewtonOS preemptive scheduler.
This can only be achieved with a special system patch that is yet to =20
design AFAIK. This is the very first issue, not the lack of =20
information about the hardware. Documenting the drivers would take =20
quite a lot of time. I'll try to provide some help when you'll be in =20
supervisor mode.

Here is a hint for you: I think the easiest is to patch the SWI =20
vector at 01B08414 and to either kill NewtonOS if it's time to boot =20
Linux or to continue. Such a system patch will noticeably slow down =20
the unit, though. A workaround is, once you're in supervisor mode, to =20=

change the mapping of the system patch in the MMU to directly jump to =20=

the original SWI vector if the user didn't express the desire to boot =20=

to Linux.

Good luck.

Paul
--=20
Ministre ultrapl=E9nipotentiaire en disponibilit=E9.
Mobile. Sans baignoire fixe.
http://www.kallisys.com/
http://www-poleia.lip6.fr/~guyot/