Re: [NTLK] eBay: LOT OF 20 APPLE NEWTON 5" QULCMAAB SCREENS

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 08 2006 - 15:26:50 EDT

On 8/8/06, Chris Browder <newtonusingfox@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you fix a fading eMate backlight?

Hi Chris,

You open your eMate Screen and disconnect the backlight cable and
slide out the back light to remove the backlight. then you reverse the
procedure to install the replacement backlight. - search for Frank's
site for instructions

There are only two people who sell Backlights for Newtons.
Calvin or Ferdi, but I'm only aware of Ferdi (aka KK) who has them for
the eMate at this time. I'm sure that Calvin could produce a new batch
for the eMate if there was enough demand OR he might have some left
still in stock if he made a prior run of them.

There are also a few vendors on eBay who on occasion sell the eMate
Screens NEW which I believe have backlights installed on them also.
Those are your possible options for NEW backlights for eMate. I'd
personally go with Calvin since I noticed he charges actual shipping
IIRC. Ferdi has in the past been known to charge more than the actual
shipping by some accounts. Of course you can always contact them
directly to see what they are charging for shipping to you.

The other option is to purchase a broken eMate for parts and salvage
the backlight from it. There might be another user on the list who
still has parts for an eMate which could include a backlight -
hopefully if someone does they will chime in on this...

My suggestion is that you consider buying a broken OR used eMate
because it would be cheaper (some of these units work partially such
as the unit will not run but the back will work which I've seen a few
on auction on eBay in the past...

But these are just my opinions and YMMV.

BTW - is your backlight dead or dim?

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung