Re: [NTLK] NCU under MAC OS 9 in Classic Mode on Tiger 10.4.7

From: Giulio Marchi <emfdb_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 17:53:11 EDT

Il giorno 12/ago/06, alle 06:06, Woody Smith ha scritto:
> I suspect that it is a problem with the USB/serial software. For the
> Keyspan driver it is recommended that you either install in in OS X
> or Classic but not both.

Woody,

This appears to be a consolidated opinion among several posters. Still
I can confirm again my experience (as I did in previous posts) as well
as the following excerpt from the manual "KeyspanUSAforXv20.pdf" of the
USA-28X Keyspan adapter. Though Bluetooth transfers require less work
and Ethernet ones are faster, sometime I still use either Newten or NCU
according to the need.

> Mac OS X vs CLASSIC
> Since both Mac OS X and the Classic environment have the ability to
> use USB devices directly, you may run into a case where you have
> installed the USB Serial Adapter software for Mac OS X as well as the
> 'classic' USB Serial Adapter software. At this point, you have two
> software drivers for one hardware device.
> In these cases, Mac OS X will allow you to use BOTH the 'classic'
> Keyspan drivers as well as the Mac OS X Keyspan drivers. However
> there are certain rules regarding which operating system has access
> to the ports...
> 1. if your 'classic' Mac OS has opened the Keyspan serial port(s) or
> is sending data to it, the Keyspan device and its serial port(s) will
> appear as 'busy' or 'in use' to any application requesting the
> Keyspan device in Mac OS X.
> 2. if Mac OS X has opened the Keyspan serial port(s) or is sending
> data to it, the Keyspan device will appear as if it is not connected
> (or unplugged) in your 'classic' Mac OS and any application
> requesting the Keyspan serial ports (in the 'classic' Mac OS) will
> get an error or report that the serial port is not available.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Giulio